Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Art Idea

I have to credit Mick with what I think is a great idea for acquiring novel illustrations. When I wrote about an author's financial responsibilities to the publisher, I mentioned that the writer is often required to provide artwork or pay someone else to create it. I somehow forgot about the legions of university art students struggling to build their portfolios.

Mick's suggestion was to approach a student artist with a proposal to draft illustrations for a soon to be published book, which would add to the artist's body of work while increasing his exposure. Even if the publisher rejected the artwork, it would give their in-house design department visual aids to realizing the author's vision.

And of course, a student would be far more likely to work for the experience alone, or at least at a far lower cost than a professional.

3 comments:

Mick said...

Mick's suggestion should be given the full dressing down it deserves as it was on par with his motto, "Just get someone else to do it".

Nick Enlowe said...

Hey, if you find a pawn to do your bidding send him/her my way, too. I'm 10 years out of practice on the art front and have basically given up on creating anything worth a damn for my books or website.

Brian Niemeier said...

@Nick: Okay.

Post a Comment