Monday, July 4, 2011

From Bronze to Silver

Merrilee Faber was right when she said that Three-Lobed Burning Eye is prompt. They read and rejected my short story within two days of my submission, which has to be some kind of record. Even better, this time I got a personalized response instead of a form letter. 3LBE's extremely rapid reply has been duly recorded over at Duotrope.

Not only did I receive feedback this time, it was unequivocally positive. The editor said that the story was very well written. It's just not what they're looking for at the moment.

I should be able to start looking for another magazine to submit the story to on Wednesday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done. Comments like that mean that you are on the right track. Keep going!

Brian Niemeier said...

Thank you. Don't worry. The only reason I'm waiting until Wednesday to start submitting again is that I'm busy with the 4th of July holiday, and I'm going out of town on Tuesday. Finding another magazine is at the top of my list upon returning.

I won't start worrying until I've gotten 20 rejections or so. After that I might go back to formula.

Anonymous said...

Only 20? I can't even think how many I've got...you'll rack them up pretty quick submitting to mags.

Brian Niemeier said...

I suppose so! I should qualify that statement with, "20 rejections for the same story before substantially rewriting it."

I heard from another author that 18 was the most tries it's ever taken him to sell a story.

Kuroi Kaze said...

I will say that your short stories were very good and there is no reason they shouldn't be published in their current forms.

Brian Niemeier said...

Thanks, Kaze. I'll let you in on a little secret. The version of "Reign of Terror" I sent you was cut almost in half from its original version to meet the submission length guidelines.

Post a Comment