Friday, May 10, 2013

The Endgame

Despite receiving multiple recommendations from friends and family for years, I delayed reading Ender's Game until just last week. I really wish I'd taken their advice sooner.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is one of those rare books that leaves a deep impression long after the reader turns the last page. While reading it I kept flashing back to my junior year of high school when I developed a voracious sci-fi habit. Back then I mostly turned to Frank Herbert, Timothy Zahn, and Kevin J. Anderson for a fix. I can't help thinking that Ender's Game would have found an honored place on my book shelf.

People who've read my work say it has noticeable Dune influences. I heartily concur. Herbert had the most enduring impact on my storytelling sensibilities during that formative period. I can only speculate about how Card's magnum opus might have shaped my adolescent view of science fiction.

That's not to say that it won't have an effect now. In the last fifteen years I've learned to consciously mine the works of better writers for new techniques. Card's additions to my literary arsenal remain to be seen, but I doubt they'll be negligible.

Have you read Ender's Game? Are you looking forward to (or dreading) the film version? Let us know.

2 comments:

Kuroi Kaze said...

Ender's Game is a pretty decent book and I could see how a decent movie can come out of it. Unfortunately the second book I read was Speaker for the Dead which was substantially less interesting. I'm told the Bean-centric books are the best but he never manages to really find anything to eclipse his first work. Sort of a literary one-hit wonder.

Brian Niemeier said...

Some folks only have one story to tell. I hesitate to label Card a one-hit wonder. He's got tons of published material under his belt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Scott_Card_bibliography

I don't disagree that Ender's Game outshines the rest of his work in the public eye, but to keep things in perspective Ender is about as successful as books get (consistent best seller, winning Nebulas and Hugos, etc.). Card's other stuff would still earn him a career well above the mid list.

Post a Comment