Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Nethereal Update

It's been a while since I could report movement on the Nethereal project. All the while I've been busy doing my homework and sending out query letters to those literary agents whom I deem best able to represent the book.

All of my queries were met with form rejections or silence (except for one which offered some encouragement). This pattern of responses isn't unusual. Most folks in the publishing industry are so swamped that they don't have time for individualized feedback.

The pattern of rejection was interrupted yesterday when I got a request for sample pages of my manuscript. The agent asking for a look at my material was the first to receive a query letter I'd drafted using a new approach. Correlation isn't necessarily causality, but it's quite a coincidence. I'm inclined to think that my previous query letters didn't sufficiently entice agents to read the manuscript, but that's how we learn.

I'll keep you updated as new information becomes available.

And if the aforesaid agent pops in, thank you for giving me a chance. Thanks also to anyone who's read my work, even if you couldn't make it past page one.

2 comments:

Kuroi Kaze said...

Your work is great and deserves notice. I need those new edited versions so bad!

Brian Niemeier said...

You have my sincere thanks. Recent progress on the Souldancer redraft astonishes even me. I used to wonder, deep down, if there really was a professional caliber story buried somewhere inside the original version. Recent developments leave no doubt in my mind that there is. The steady process of chipping away the marble to reveal the sculpture continues, but if you squint you can see the finished form.

Meanwhile, one of the best ways to support my works' publicaiton is to help me build a decent platform. Let not my readers grow impatient with me when I ask again that they tell EVERYONE about this blog.

I'll shut up and get back to work now.

Post a Comment