Friday, May 31, 2013

Considering Writers' Conferences

I've been contemplating attending a writers' conference for a while. Such events come in many flavors (general, genre-related, writers' retreats, etc.), so it's important to define your goals and select the conference that's best able to meet your needs.

I'm in the market for a general or SF/Fantasy-focused event where I can meet agents (a method proven by several successful authors) and editors (workshops and panel discussions are valuable, but I'm mainly focused on networking). Having limited funds, I'm not looking to travel far.

The most promising event I've found within these criteria is the Chicago Writers Conference. It's not till September, but one can't start planning too early. I don't know if I'll go this year. Registration is $200.00, and that's without travel and lodging expenses. I'll keep you posted as the situation unfolds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment