Monday, April 8, 2013

How About a Magic Trick?

Is every masterpiece a deliberate result of its creator's intent? A discussion resulting from Friday's post grappled with this question. I think it presents what catechists call a "teachable moment".

Where do groundbreaking works get their emotional power? Opinions on this subject fall into two broad categories. Fans of auteur theory credit all of a story's emotive resonance to the storyteller. In this view crafting a compelling game, novel, or film is a matter of talent and skill.

The concept of developer/author/director as a work's primary interpretive key was challenged by Roland Barthes' essay "Death of the Author". Barthes argued that an author's intent and background are totally insignificant to a work's meaning and emotional impact. According to this theory one could say that no creative expression is ever singular. Instead, each work exists simultaneously in three forms: the story in the author's mind, the story as it exists in writing (or as data or on film), and the story as it takes form in the audience's mind.

In effect, there are far more than three versions of every story because a new one springs into being with each new audience member. How often have you seen the film version of a favorite book and said, "That's not how I pictured that character/setting/prop"? Everyone who saw the movie after reading the book probably felt the same way because each reader invests the story with his own experience and preconceptions.

Personally I don't fully buy into either auteur theory or post-structuralism. The fatal flaw of each is a tendency to be too reductive. John C. Wright charts a sensible middle course between both extremes, likening a story to a magic trick. An author is like a magician who fools the reader into accepting a fiction that would prove absurd under the least bit of scrutiny. Like prestidigitation, lulling someone into full suspension of disbelief takes skill honed by practice.

But all the sleight of hand in the world is wasted if the story behind the smoke and mirrors doesn't emotionally resonate with the audience. Striking an emotional chord is the quality most associated with breakthrough fiction. Yet it is the audience who supplies the required sensibilities and life experience.

There are ways to maximize a story's chance of resonating with its audience, such as constantly escalating conflict built around widely-shared themes. However, aligning a story so as to evoke that dizzying "car with no brakes" feeling often happens through blind luck.

I'm sure you have a favorite game, book, or movie that no one else likes. On the other hand, I bet there's a universally lauded work that you can't stand. In either case, please share.

4 comments:

Ben Hausam said...

I've already shared some of the books I don't enjoy, Lord of the Rings is a big one for me. My dislike of it stems mostly from the fact that it reads like amateur hour in comparison to The Hobbit, easily one of my favorite stand alone novels. The Hobbit is a story that manages to consistently raise the stakes and hit newer and newer climaxes, each time with amazing and exciting results. While Lord of the Rings puts the entirety of the steaks on the table at the very beginning of the book, and other than the introduction of Saruman as a villain, nothing unexpected happens. The most fun I had while reading Lord of the Rings came with the introduction of Tom Bombadil, who doesn't fit within the story at all, no matter how Tolkien tried to cover for his existence.

Also I didn't much like Dune, I finished it but I'm not sure how. Part of the problem is how Frank Herbert writes, or did for Dune any way. I think it was written in third person omniscient past tense, not an easy style to work through.
Then there is his view on evolution, as Lamarckist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarkism), which, as I understand it, continues to get even more far fetched in future novels. I do need to clearly state though that I totally stole God Emperor from him, since I hadn't considered such a title before.

Just let me know what else you love Brian, so that I may hate it!

Brian Niemeier said...

I also love Neil Gaiman's Sandman and the Cthulhu Mythos.

Ben Hausam said...

For some unknown reason, I still haven't read Sandman. Perhaps I should fix that soon.

I've also only read enough about Cthulhu to participate in a Cthulhu one shot.

Brian Niemeier said...

The new Sandman series coming out this year looks like a good jumping-on point.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/13/comic-con-neil-gaiman-announces-new-sandman-series

Post a Comment