Monday, March 11, 2013

Souldancer Excerpt 2

Time for another Souldancer sample. We join Nakvin of Avalon as she contends with a house guest who's rather outstayed his welcome.

            Sulaiman’s eyes went rigid as iron. “One whom Hazeroth of Gheninom fears can only be a terror not seen since the old gods’ day. You heard what game the hunter seeks.”
            It was an effort for Nakvin to speak. “The Souldancer’s host.”
            “Not Thera,” said the priest, “but the wretched souls despoiled to restore hers.”
            “What does he want with them?”
            Sulaiman came closer than he ever had to shrugging. “To fulfill some perverse Working,” he guessed. “Or perhaps to keep company with kindred spirits.”
            Nakvin fought to keep her face from betraying how close that was to the mark.
            “Whatever his reason,” the priest went on, “Shaiel’s gain is our grave loss. You must send me to Mithgar.”
            “I must do nothing,” said the queen. “I came to discuss state business; not to aid private vendettas.”
            “Have you heard nothing I’ve said?” Sulaiman asked. “Shaiel imperils the cosmos of which your fiefdom is only part.”
            Nakvin slammed her fist upon the desk. “Enough!” she said. “Don’t test me, Sulaiman. While you rotted in prison, I was busy learning.”
            The priest’s smile was acid. “Kill me then,” he said, “as I know you wish to.”
            Sulaiman’s abruptness gave the queen no chance to hide her shock.
            “My god has left me,” he continued, “but I need not his gifts to read hearts. You have your sire’s throne. Let’s see you match her malice.”
             “Go,” Nakvin sighed. “Find out what’s happening on Mithgar. Stop it if you can.”
            Sulaiman brushed past her but stopped in the doorway. “Pray any power you like to send me victory.”
            “She never answers,” said the queen.

2 comments:

Ben Hausam said...

I wait with bated breath for a completed copy to read.

Brian Niemeier said...

I'm working on it daily. In the meantime remember to breathe. Breathing is very important.

Post a Comment