Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Nomen Omen

"The name is an omen."
     -ancient Roman proverb

I've been giving serious thought to choosing a pen name for my fiction writing efforts. It's been pointed out that distinguishing my novels from my nonfiction commentary would help to narrow and target interest in each area. Sounds reasonable.

Any thoughts on whether adopting a pen name is a good idea? If so, I'm taking suggestions on potential names. Diego T. Iglesias is my current favorite (major points to anyone who guesses why).

Besides, compared to Jason Pargin I don't think it's too much of a stretch. I'm not of Latin-American descent, but I do have a fondness for Latin.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Kuroi Kaze said...

He sort of got away with it being a goofy humor writer but I'm not sure I'd pick such a non-white name. Seems like it could someday lead to trouble if you did find widespread success. I could imagine you being accused of "milking racial sympathy" or "betraying latino readers" or other such nonsense.

Brian Niemeier said...

Good point. We'll shelve that one for now.

Ben Hausam said...

Well your name is isn't shared by another author that I can find, so from that perspective you're safe. A quick search surfaces religious exposition, a subject which can be contentious even amongst those that agree on doctrinal matters, so this might suggest a pseudonym.

Many great writers have used pen names, and for many different justifications. None of that matters though, it isn't going to be important until you're published, at that time I'm sure you're Agent/Editor will discuss it with you.

I suggest you go by Gentleman Johnny Dino-Might

Brian Niemeier said...

OK. I've added your suggestion to the list.

Post a Comment